Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chocolate Syrup II

This chocolate syrup is less sweet than my usual one and slightly thicker. Instead of standing and chopping chocolate, you whisk in 2/3 cup of powdered cocoa. Easier (not that the other recipe is difficult) and fast-about five minutes. I also like that it makes a smaller amount (1 pint) so there isn't pressure to use it all quickly. If you like a sweeter sauce, simply add more sugar to the water. I did need to thin it a bit at the end with water as it was just too thick for my tastes. I realise that commercial syrup these days is a bit on the thick side (not like the bottle of Bosco when I was a kid). I was worried Danny would turn his nose up at it, but he downed a glass of chocolate milk in under a minute.

You Will Need:

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring water and sugar to a boil whisking until sugar dissolves. Whisk in cocoa and salt. Reduce heat to simmer and cook a few minutes until thickened. If it seems too thick, add a bit of water keeping in mind the mixture will continue to thicken as it cools. Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla and cool. Store in jars in the fridge. Makes 1 pint.

No comments: