Saturday, August 02, 2008

Doughnuts

When my husband was young, he went to Texas to visit his aunt. It probably would have been an otherwise unmemorable trip, but she made doughnuts for him which he then spent the next forty years raving about.

"Wow", I thought. "Those must have been some doughnuts."

I've made doughnuts a few times and he politely would eat them but I knew he was thinking they just weren't as good as his aunt's. I figured it must be some sort of southern thing, and assumed I'd never be able to recreate anything close and probably shouldn't try.

Last fall, my in-laws came to visit and somehow the topic of Auntie's doughnuts came up and my mother-in-law blurted out;
"Oh, she used to make those doughnuts from the biscuits in a can. I didn't know he liked those so much."

Tinned biscuits! Holy Poppin' Fresh! I couldn't believe it.

That was October, and I guess I've tried putting it out of my mind lest I be tempted to try it. That was, until I went over to Make And Takes, because I do whatever Marie tells me to. It's true. Sadly, I'll have to leave it at temptation for a while as I'm in no spirits to fry anything, but that shouldn't keep you from popping open one of those tubes (don't you jump even though you know the pop is coming?) and frying up some...uh..."traditional" southern doughnuts.

3 comments:

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Those doughnuts ARE soooo good, and all too easy. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time Grandpa asked Grandma to make chocolate cake. He made a point that it had to be Aunt Lizzie's recipe (the best). Grandma beckoned Mom to the kitchen. She opened the cupboard and pulled out a Duncan Hines mix, saying "This is Aunt Lizzie's recipe."

We still tease about it.

Goody said...

@Anonymous

Now THAT'S funny!