Friday, January 29, 2010

Le croque-madame


As I was so busy ruining a pie, and dusting bookcases (see previous post) I had little time to fuss over dinner. I served these with minestrone soup, and everyone was quite pleased.

I used the recipe in Simca's Cuisine, but made a few adjustments. I skipped the cayenne, used 1 teaspoon of brandy rather than 2 tablespoons, and added a dash of Worcestershire sauce. I also made a somewhat smaller batch. The bread should be sliced a day ahead and let stale, but i set mine in a 350 degree F. oven for fifteen minutes and then turned it off. An hour later, I had stale bread.

You Will Need:

6 slices of good, white sandwich bread (I used the potato bread from the other day's post)
1/4 cup cold milk
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, grated
2 tablespoons cognac, kirsch, or rum (I used much less, and used brandy)
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon paprika (I used 1 teaspoon)
Cayenne to taste (I omitted)
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Put the milk in a large bowl and mix in the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, cheese, and alcohol. Add paprika, salt, and cayenne. Mix well. Place on each piece of bread and top each slice with melted butter. Place under the broiler until browned (about 4 minutes).

When slightly cooled, cut into triangles and serve warm.

No comments: