Monday, January 18, 2010

Quick Baguettes


I didn't plan ahead, I didn't make a preferment, and I used enough yeast to rise them quickly. Artisan bread? No. Pretty much what I needed for dinner though.

I had about a cup and a half of whole wheat flour sitting in a bag on the counter and it was bothering me. Too much to add to the container, and not enough to do anything with. I solved that problem by dumping it into this bread. Call me strange, but not looking at that mostly-used bag of flour makes me feel like I've accomplished something important today. Yes, I do have a life-thanks for asking.

You Will Need:

2 cups warm water
3 1/2 teaspoons granulated dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 cups bread flour or as much as it requires to make a dough that is easy to knead, but no longer sticky.

In a large bowl mix the water, yeast and sugar. let stand a few minutes. Add the salt, olive oil and whole wheat flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Start beating in the bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled-about 2 hours.

Punch dough down and divide in 2. Let rest ten minutes.

Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape baguettes and dust lightly with flour. Cover loosely with a dishtowel. I'll go ahead and assume you're using a clean one-you really shouldn't need me to point that out, you know. Let rise until almost doubled.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Using whatever method you prefer to create steam-do it. Then load the bread and bake 20 minutes. Rotate sheet and bake another 5-10 minutes or until internal temperature is around 200 degrees F.

Cool on racks.

No comments: