Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bannocks


I finally made Danny his bannocks (not at five AM, and not wrapped round a stick over a campfire) much to his delight. I'm not daring enough to deep fry them, though I hear they are delicious that way.

Mine came out a bit thick in a 9 inch pie plate, and in hindsight, I understood that I should have used my cast iron pan. Oh well, next time (which will probably be something like ten years, but at least I'll leave myself the note here to remember).

So, what to include in your bannocks? We like raisins, so I tossed in a handful of raisins. Dried apricots are nice, but you can omit them completely. I didn't spice mine, but you could add cinnamon. You could make them savoury with garlic and cheese...you get the idea. I used whole oats, but I don't see any reason quick cooking oats wouldn't work. I couldn't find a single recipe that included all the aspects of what I wanted. This is the result of many offerings, but they all seem to have the common theme that this is not a difficult, fussy food to prepare-don't over-think it.

You Will Need:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins
2 tbsp. melted butter
3/4-1 cup water (add slowly as you may not need it all)

preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9 inch pie plate or a cast iron pan. Mix together the dry ingredients. Stir in raisins and butter. Mix well. Add the water slowly until you have a sticky dough. Remove, pat into the prepared dish/pan and bake about 25 minutes or until top is golden. Cut into scones to serve.

No comments: