Saturday, February 13, 2010

Blood Oranges On Sale

This will only be of interest to local readers-the Hy Vee at 50th and Center has blood oranges on sale for .99 cents a pound. This would be an excellent time to make blood orange jelly or marmalade. I stocked-up, but haven't decided what they are destined for quite yet. That candy brittle was pretty delicious.

While you're there, pick up a ten pound bag of sugar-around five dollars which is the cheapest I've seen for pure cane sugar. You'll need it if you're making marmalade.

I know, who am I kidding? I'll be standing over the sink at three in the morning eating the oranges before they get anywhere near the canner. Really, I'd stop eating all other food for a steady year-round supply of those oranges. I don't think I could bear February were it not for blood oranges.

No comments: