Thursday, February 11, 2010

Champ


OK, this isn't really a "recipe", though I will tell you how I make the mashed potatoes. We like kale in our champ-you can use spinach, or leeks, or really whatever green you like. I should have used clarified butter, but I was distracted today by a million things (oh gosh, what a bloody horrible day) and didn't think of it.

For The Potatoes:

peel and quarter your potatoes and place them in boiling water. Cook until soft. Save the water for baking bread or coffeecakes (trust me on this). Put the potatoes through a food mill so you don't have to listen to Mr. Bossy-pants complain about "lumpy potatoes." Then, add a few tablespoons of cut-up butter. Add a bit of heavy cream, and some whole milk (the amount will depend on how many potatoes you cooked). Add a pinch of ground nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, and that's how I make mashed potatoes. Don't throw out that potato water-I'm not kidding, the stuff has magical properties.

For the kale-strip it off the stems, shred it, toss it in a pot of boiling water and cook it to death. Drain, squeeze dry in a towel. Mix with mashed potatoes.

To Serve:

Mound on the plate, make an indentation in the top and fill with melted butter. Eat from the outer edge inward, dipping as you go. Even Mr. Bossypants declared it, "cool."

No comments: