Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Salmon Cakes


There seems to be some sort of salmon cake curse hanging above my head that dooms a single salmon cake to fall miserably apart whenever I make them. Always, just one. Yeah, that's what I think too.

I made a small batch expecting Danny to have them for his lunch tomorrow as well. Mr. ETB despises salmon (weirdo) so I offered him all the sides and told him there were tamales in the freezer to microwave. Wouldn't it figure, he'd decide to try them? He ate one, not raving about it, but not complaining either, which is interesting. I mean, I have an aversion to cucumbers and unless I am being offered them as a guest and feel obligated to consume them, I wouldn't. I always thought that's what a food aversion is. This leads me to think he's just being difficult. Weirdo.

So anyway, these make a small batch-two large burger sized cakes, or four smaller ones. Feel free to play with the fillings/spices/etc. Just don't be too disappointed if one of them falls apart in the pan. That just means they're going to be extra good.

You Will Need:

A 71/2 ounce tin of red salmon(I mush up the bones and use them-good for calcium, but you can pull them out if you prefer)
1 tablespoon preserved lemon peel, finely diced
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
Black pepper to taste
1/4 cup hard cheese, finely grated (I used Romano)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (or crumble a few crackers if you don't have any)
3 egg whites

Combine everything in a bowl and mix well. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the salmon cakes a few minutes on each side until nicely browned. Serve hot or cold (we always ate ours cold growing up, but my dad worked odd, late hours, and my mother didn't like cooking twice).

2 comments:

Raymond said...

I still enjoy my lazy-cook version of fishy-cakes: a can of tuna + half a box of Savory Herbs flavor StoveTop stuffing mix. (Plus a ~tablespoon of mayo + some water.)

Goody said...

I really need to give that a try. I don't really use tuna much because of all the mercury-don't want the kiddo to be stoooopid.