Thursday, February 25, 2010

Upside Down Plum Cake




I wanted a small-ish cake for tonight, and I had two plums sitting on the counter-THIS recipe was perfect. Obviously, prune plums aren't available now, but honestly, this cake didn't suffer at all being made with red plums.

The only part that could be considered tricky is carmelising the sugar. Just be careful, and keep an eye on it. Whatever you do, let the hot pan cool before you soak it, or you will splatter caramel syrup everywhere (no, I didn't do that, but I can easily imagine it happening).

I unmoulded mine onto a platter with a ridge to catch any drips and then transferred it to a plate. That worked well. I know some people in the comments had difficulty with the wetness of the fruit. I did not, but perhaps that's one benefit of purchasing summer fruit in February, as it isn't quite as juicy.

I baked mine atop a baking sheet, just in case, but it proved unnecessary. I'd still recommend it anyway. I hate cleaning the oven, and sugar syrup smells terrible burning to the heating element.

I really want to try this recipe with bananas next. This one is a keeper.

No comments: