Monday, February 15, 2010

Veggie Sandwiches on Homemade Onion/Poppyseed Rolls




The rolls are simply made from a standard white bread recipe. After the first rising, I took half the dough and made rolls which I then rolled flat (they puffed-up like pita). The topping is made from dehydrated onions, poppy seeds, salt, and paprika. I rehydrated them with enough water to cover and let it stand an hour before using. So simple, yet I almost never think to do it.

The vegetable filling consists of red pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsly, thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper, black olives and olive oil. I cooked it all in a large pan until soft. For a spread, I made a dressing of olive oil, paprika and Dijon mustard with a few drops of white wine vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar. Again, any idiot can make this (I just did!) and leftovers can be watered down with more vinegar for an excellent French dressing.

Considering I served these with poutine, they are kind of healthy...well, as healthy as anything can be sitting on the same plate with a heap of poutine.

No comments: