Monday, September 12, 2011

Savoury Carrot Pie


I'm swimming in carrots at the moment and I was looking for something to serve with a spicy bean soup. This pie was well received. Interestingly, you can make this as a sweet pie as well, substituting mixed spice, and increasing the sugar to about a cup. Decrease the salt to 1/2 teaspoon for a sweet version.

I served this cold, but it would be fine slightly warmed.

You Will Need:

2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried sage, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried thyme
A generous grind of black pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 cups carrots, cooked until soft and run through a food mill
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine sugar, salt, and spices. Stir in carrots and eggs. Add milk, cream, and mix well. Pour into pie crust. Bake 1 hour or until filling is almost set. It will still cook after you remove it from the oven, so don't overbake it.

Serve cold or slightly warmed.

I also cooked some "end of the garden" veggies. I'll miss those potatoes.

No comments: