Thursday, December 08, 2011

Truffles-N-Stuff



I call these my, "mincemeat pirogies" as I find it easier to shape them like dumplings than fuss with tart pans. You also get a better ratio of filling to pastry. Not the prettiest pastry I've made, but still delicious. This year's mincemeat has pears rather than apple. I think I prefer it. I skipped the suet as well. Along with the pastry, I made a batch of mincemeat ice cream. That was very well received. In short, it was a rich vanilla custard ice cream with mincemeat stirred into it at the last. I think it would work well with pumpkin ice cream too.

The truffles are 13 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons corn syrup and 1 teaspoon instant coffee. Place the chocolate and coffee in a bowl. Heat the cream and corn syrup until steaming. Pour over chocolate and coffee. Let stand 5 minutes, then whisk smooth. Pour into a pan and chill 4 hours. Roll into balls and decorate as desired. Store in the fridge.

No comments: