Friday, August 03, 2012

Venison Shooter's Sandwich


My version of the classic is made with venison steaks that have been slowly braised in wine and onions. Round steak is more typical. Here's roughly what you do:

Remove top of a round loaf of bread. Hollow out bread. Cook a pound of mushrooms with shallots and butter until most of the liquid evaporates. Layer a steak on the bottom, then the mushrooms, then another steak, more mushrooms, a generous spoonful of horseradish, and the stronget Dijon mustard you can find (I made my own). Replace the top. Wrap the still warm loaf tightly in parchment and string. Place on a plate and cover with another plate. Weight the sandwich with something heavy (I used a gallon water bottle). Let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then remove to the fridge (still weighted for several hours longer (I did about five). Slice, and serve.

No comments: