Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Apple Cake with Caramel Apple Sauce


Owl find time(er) for cake.








I had a large bottle of very expensive apple juice no one would drink. When Danny was sick last week, all he wanted was juice, so we bought several varieties. Now that he's (mostly) recovered, the juice sat in the fridge.

I poured it into a large pot, boiled the hell out of it until I had about 1/2 cup of syrup.
"Gee", I thought aloud, "Wouldn't this be good in caramel sauce?" And I'm pleased to report that yes, apple syrup makes an excellent addition to your favourite caramel sauce. Cut the sugar in the recipe by half, and add about 4 tablespoons of the concentrated syrup. It will be the best caramel apple you ever had-by the spoonful.

Well, sauce like that demanded a pretty special cake, and this is exactly that. I had to double wrap the extra and shove it in the back of the fridge for fear I'd eat half of it in a sitting. This cake has everything I love-apples, raisins, cinnamon...how could anyone not love this cake? I don't think I could be friends with someone that didn't like this cake. Really, I mean it.

You Will Need:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (use something flavourless like soybean or sunflower)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarb
1 teaspoon salt
3 large apples pared and diced small
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan. Combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Combine flours, cinnamon, bicarb, and salt. Add to egg mixture until blended. Fold in apples and raisins. Pour into prepared pan, and sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tesats done. Cool in pan.

No comments: