Wednesday, November 06, 2013

70's Does 50's Skirt


When I spotted this skirt, I knew it was coming home with me, but it was only after I got home that I realised why-my mother had a tablecloth in a similar pattern. I should have known, almost everything I buy is the result of nostalgia tugging at me.

The colours, are perfect for this time of year, and I'm lucky enough to look good in brown. I'd place this skirt in the late 70's, possibly early 80's based on the fabric, label, and cut, but I could be way off.
I paired it with a beige twin set because I lack imagination. I don't mix prints well, so I leave that to the experts.
I hardly ever wear this topaz ring, but it matched the mood of the overall outfit, so I crammed it onto my fat finger and wore it. It wasn't a pinky ring when I bought it twenty years ago.

 
The brooch is enamel and has a piece of Connemara marble in the centre. I had a hook put on the back with the intention of wearing it as a pendant, but I've yet to do so. Options, people. I like options with my limited budget. These are my spare specs. I need new lenses made, and I've since purchased a second set of vintage frames similar to the black ones, but in gold. I'm not sure I'll re-set these this time around. What do you think? I mean, tortoise is nice, but they feel a little small for my round face.

Outfit Particulars:

Twin Set: Sears, ages ago
70's Skirt: Thrifted, $3.00
Brooch: Antique fair, sometime in the 90's
Earrings: Can't remember, about a decade ago
Ring: Antique shop western, Mass 90's
Shoes: Thrifted
Bangles: Thrifted, Goodwill

The skirt was purchased on the same trip that yielded some fantastic sweaters, which I will try to get photographed soon. It is still a bit warm for heavy sweaters here, but I'm eager to show off some of the crazy embroidery. Your, "Ugly sweater" is my treasure.



No comments: