Friday, November 15, 2013

Cranberry Pie-Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, 1950

 


 
I came home from Aldi with ten bags of fresh cranberries, most of which we're destined for the dehydrator (at .99 cents a bag, I couldn't pass them up). I made sure to hold a bag out for this pie.

I've made this before, and this time I also added a half cup of sultanas because I had them, and we like them, but you could easily leave them out. I also omitted the almond extract. The original recipe gives you the option of using 1-2 cups of sugar. Unless you are really in love with assertive tartness, I'd go ahead and use two. I did 1 1/2, and even with the sultanas, it is still pretty sour. I'm serving it with sweetened whipped cream, which should be a nice balance, but just be aware that they are very, very sour berries.

Make your filling ahead as it is best to let it cool slightly before filling the pie. I also chilled my crust for 30 minutes.

You Will Need:

Pastry for a double crust pie
1-2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups halved cranberries (this is tedious, so I recommend getting a child to do it. If you don't have one, get a neighbour's child, or I can send you mine)
1/2 cup water
Optional 1/2 tsp almond extract (I omitted this)
Optional-1/2 cup sultanas

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large pot, combine the sugar, flour, salt, cranberries ,sultanas, and water. Mix well, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once it boils, cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat, stir in extract if using. Cool slightly before filling crust.

Cut vents in top crust, brush with cream, and sprinkle with coarse sugar (or just leave it plain, your pie, your rules). Bake (on a sheet, because we don't want to be scraping burnt cranberry sugar off the oven, do we?) 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden, and filling is bubbling up through the vents.


No comments: