Sunday, December 01, 2013

Gingerbread Display



We made the yearly trip to the gingerbread display at the Kanesville Tabernacle in Council Bluffs, IA.
We advised Danny keep his "opinions" to himself as the place was full of people who don't share his views on religion. Or politics. Gingerbread is pretty neutral ground, even if the scavenger hunt puzzle spelled out, "What child is this? Jesus."
The displays were pretty spectacular. I've made my share of gingerbread structures, but these were really impressive. I couldn't come up with stuff like this.
 I wore my festive tights. I also let myself be photographed from an angle that shows my curved spine. I've been thinking about this lately-the trouble I go to hiding it. Yeah, I have a hump that would make Richard III look like a candidate for the Perfect Posture Award, but there isn't much I can do about it. It is more pronounced now that I'm aging, but it has been there since I was a child. Some clothes make it look worse, but really, so what? I have a messed-up spine, it doesn't make me a bad person (I've never had anyone locked up in the Tower, or smothered anyway). It should have been corrected when I was young, but my parents viewed it as a cosmetic issue, not a medical one. I'm sure if it happened today, I'd get a brace. Obviously, what's done is done, and it is silly to try and hide my deformity in photos. I'm not saying I'll take a swimsuit photo and let it all hang out for view, but editing away the photos where it shows seems a bit strange, particularly at my age. Just don't call it a dowager's hump.

Outfit Particulars:

Skirt-Vintage Lily Pulitzer (velvet)
Velvet Tunic-Early 90's, Bloomingdale's
Christmas Tree Earrings-Big Lots
Stockings-Both quite old, early 90's
Red Scarf-"Better than Cashmere" (well, no it isn't but that is the brand name) Shop-Ko
Shoes-Retail, K-Mart I think
Hat-Old, Old, Old. Jordan Marsh, I think 80's

No comments: