Monday, December 09, 2013

Thrifting at Home-Peter Max Pillowcases by Mowhawk

I've had these forever, or at least as long as I can remember. I have no idea what happened to the matching sheets, but at one time they graced my bed in the room with the pink shag carpet, and apricot painted walls. Of all the artwork Peter Max was responsible for, I can't imagine why Mohawk decided to make sheet sets in this print. It isn't really southwestern, and it isn't psychedelic-I don't know what it is, but my mother bought it, put it on my bed in the 60's, and today I use it as a cover for a hot water bottle. Geez, this thing will go cradle to grave yet.

My sister had the better bedroom décor. Red everywhere. It was like living in an elaborate box of valentine chocolates, with the velvet covered lamp shades, red carpet (also shag), and a white organza and velvet window covering that we called a "pouf."  It was horrible, and wonderful, and oh so grown up. Me? I had a goddamned Raggedy Ann lamp, apricot coloured walls, and Peter Max for the middling classes bed sheets. Shortly after, they bought me a canopy bed but couldn't be arsed to get the fabric put on it, so I had the bare frame over my bed for a good ten years until I moved out.

From this view, it looks like two people arguing with raised fists. That's not very hippie-like, is it?

The sheet sets are selling for insane amounts of money these days, so maybe I ought to find something else to wrap the hottie in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain!