Tuesday, April 01, 2014

A Trip to the Tropics

OK, it wasn't *really* the tropics, it was Lauritzen Gardens, but that's the closest I get to a holiday these days.
 
Our windows and doors were being replaced today, and with all the dust, glue, and whatnot I figured it would be best for Danny's asthma if we left for the day. Mr. ETB got to stay home and listen to the installer's hammering away all day.
 
There was Hawaiian music piped in the exhibit, which really enhanced the experience. I want a ukulele in the worst way now. And a tropical drink, but not a Pina Colada-those are vile.
 
 Danny spent more time sitting than walking as he sprained his ankle yesterday. Nothing an elastic bandage and an ice pack couldn't cure, but we had him checked out anyway.
The resemblance is uncanny.
 
Outfit Particulars:
 
1980's Leslie Fay Dress-Thrift World, .98 cents
Pendelton jacket-Hand-Me-Ups Store (part of a suit)
60's Marvella faux pearls-Thrifted
Swan cluster pins-Hand-Me-Ups
50's crystal and pearl earrings-Thrifted
Shoes-1960's Naturalizer
Blue hair snood-ancient-had it for years
 
On the way home from Lauritzen we stopped at our garden centre for a few items (not tropical plants, though I was certainly inspired to try a few things) and came home with two basil plants. I know it is too early to put them out (we're freezing here) but in the sunny kitchen window they will do fine along with the chives, rosemary, and micro lettuces. I'm ready for spring already, but mother nature refuses to cooperate.
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

Helga said...

I totally read "topless" in that title...for a second....
O, yeah, nasty dust and icky glue does not agree with asthma! I'd love a little wander about these gardens, as long as you don't make that face at me!! X

Goody said...

From what you post, it looks like you live in a paradise. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in such a beautiful place.

Curtise said...

Those gardens look lovely, Mr ETB drew the short straw there. Your 80s frock has a real 1940s feel when paired with a jacket and pearls and a snood, you look great. Even with the roaring face.
Hope Danny's ankle feels less painful soon. xxx

Witchcrafted Life said...

There are some fashion pairings that one always intends to wear, but almost (or flat out never) remembers to and you know, dresses with suit jackets/blazers over them is one of them for me. Both this winter and last, I've worn that combo precisely one time each and wasn't able to photograph either outfit (due to the weather). I love the combo, but really must work on sporting it more often. While we've still got some chilly weather here this (early) spring, I'll try to do just that and hope I will look half as elegant and lovely as you do here.

♥ Jessica

Jayne H said...

You and Danny definitely got the better deal today. Hope you were pleased with the new windows and doors when you got back home and you are toasty warm with no draughts

Goody said...

@ Jessica

It can look great, but it can also look stuffy. I think this came out somewhere in the middle, but I did change my roller-set hairdo and handbag before leaving because I didn't want to look like I was channeling Thatcher.

Goody said...

@ Northern Mum

Yeah, poor MR. ETB had to listen to the noise, AND the workmen brought a radio blasting classic rock all afternoon.

I'm thrilled with the sliding glass doors-the old ones were so heavy I feared dislocating a shoulder opening the. These are much nicer. It will be strange not needing to line the windowsills with towels, or having two inches of ice inside.