Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Puzzling Skirt




 This vintage Jack Winter skirt is part of a suit, though I rarely wear the pieces together. What I find so curious about the skirt is the button and zipper are placed in the front, along with the kick pleat. I've rub across front pleat skirts, and front close skirts, but not all at once. I'm confident I'm wearing it as intended (the pockets won't work any other way) but to be honest, I've felt slightly off kilter all day-like wearing a shirt backwards.

Still, a beautiful tweedy wool skirt is worth feeling a bit twisted about. Jack Winter was better known for manufacturing women's trousers than skirts-perhaps someone in the factory got confused.
 A pair of pregnant ballerina brooches.
 An old, and well loved handbag.
Outfit  Particulars:
Vintage Jack Winter skirt (part of a suit) My guess is late 70's/early 80's-Goodwill
Vintage 60's Jantzen wool sweater-Thrift World
Vintage Pendletob jacket-Goodwill
Bangles-both Hand-me-Ups
Brooch on jacket-Hand-Me-Ups
Ballerina brooches-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings-Thrift World
Ring-Salvation Army
Handbag-a thrift store in Western Massachusetts 25 years ago
Shoes-K Mart
Fragrance-Vintage EDP L'Heure Bleue
Lippy-Loreal Colour Riche British Red (when no other red lippy will do)




I took some baked goods over to the volunteers at the Friends of the Library book sale today. I haven't been there since Christmas even though I live practically across the street. I've had a tough time medically, and I just don't like discussing it. As a result I've avoided people that were likely to notice, which I'm sure sounds silly to anyone not dealing with on-going medical issues. I don't mind drawing attention to my vintage clothing collection, but I don't really want to put myself on display. Anyway, people were happy to see us, and it was like a family reunion as most of the volunteers have known Danny since he was a baby. He found some birding books, one of the volunteers gave him a book, and I came home with a Farm Journal bread baking book for .50 cents. I'm glad we went.

 I spotted this interesting nest on my walk today.


I love our park this time of year. We only saw an elderly couple walking, and had the park essentially to ourselves.


...well, almost to ourselves. This curious squirrel followed us through the park making certain we didn't disturb any of his carefully buried stash of nuts.

I'll  leave you with a photo of a "Stink Bug". As the name suggests, they smell bad, particularly if you smash one. The best I can describe it is a very overripe banana. Anyway, best to give them space. 

Hope you're having a great week.






8 comments:

Bibi Maizoon said...

Looking gorgeous in red & black!
The pregnant ballerinas look more like Sufi twirlers to me.
You find the most fabulous shoes at KMart!
My Loreal Colour Riche lippies I bought in Florida last year are a bit waxy in feel, did they change their formula?
The stink bugs in California look just like that but with and orange dot on their back & they smell like turpentine when squished.
Honestly goody, I don't know how you do it? I'd never guess you have any medical issues.

Vix said...

You look gorgeous in red!
Quite a few of my 1960s Jean Varon maxis have the zip closure at the front. It does seem a bit strange, doesn't it? Maybe it's a subtle way of displaying that it's a designer piece?
I like to think people look at me 'cos of my vintage clothes rather than the fact I walk like a cripple. I'm glad you went and visited the library gang, there's still people I avoid since I lost both parents as they shower me in pity something I neither need or deserve.
Keep being fabulous. xxx

Polyester Princess said...

I have several skirts with a front zip and button closure, but as far as I can recall, none have front pleats. I kind of know what you mean, but it's still a lovely skirt. I keep buying tweedy wool skirts, until I've found the perfect one, but there always seems to be something not quite right. Love the pregnant ballerinas and the bag. Have never knowingly come across a "Stink Bug", but will be giving them a wide berth if I ever do! xxx

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...


I think the skirt is meant to be worn the other way - I have seen skirts with a rear kick pleat but I am puzzled about the pockets! Anyway, it's a lovely skirt and looks great with the red. I loved the pregnant ballerinas and that wonderful red ring!

What an interesting nest; I wonder which bird constructed that?

Hope your weekend is going well and that you have a great week.

Veronica
vronni60s.blogspot.com

Goody said...

@Bibi
They might have changed the formula-my tube is a couple years old now. I really hope that's not the case as I'm about ready for another. Why, oh why must they fiddle with products that are already perfect?!

@Vix
They're definitely looking at your clothes (and your great hair, smile, eyes...I could go on and on).

@Ann
Hopefully stink bugs are more of a New World insect that will leave you alone.
The kick pleat is very strange because it feels like it doesn't quite work right either.

@Veronica
The pockets are definitely sewn to wear with a front close, but yes it is all very disturbing! I think it might be an interesting mistake-like bank notes that get printed upside down or something except I won't have collectors wanting to pay me a fortune for it.

I think the nest might belong to a crow or some large-ish bird. It seems too small for an owl (and they prefer evergreens).

Beth Waltz said...

This is definitely what I'd call a "warrior woman" costume, Goody. This, and the British Red war paint, is just the thing for facing the world when one feels less than one's best! (And what an exquisite ring -- one rarely finds a red ring.)

Looks like a squirrel's nest to me. How far up the tree was it built? The naturalists hereabouts claim to be able to forecast winter weather based upon the altitudes of nests made by young female squirrels.

Mim said...

The stink bug looks like the green shield beetles I get in my garden. Not sure if they stink, though.

I wonder if the zipper in the front was an attempt to make the skirt look more casual, in a jeans/trousers sort of way?

Goody said...

@Beth
It was about twenty feet up. I hadn't thought of squirrels.

@Mim
Well are you gonna squish one to find out?