Friday, August 04, 2006

Rustic Bread and Chocolate Lemon Gateau






I couldn't wait to post these beautiful photographs-the recipes will follow later this weekend. I was surprised just how simple the genoise was to prepare, though I had the benefit of a stand mixer. The lemon filling and glaze were quite another matter. I hate to keep harping on it, but a good whisk is one of the best investments you can make for kitchen supplies. Oh, and heat proof spatulas-what a great innovation those are!

The bread was light and chewy, though I think my next attempt will make use of a preferment. I plan to try it again tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see if I notice a difference while I still have the old loaf around for comparison. I was able to get a fair amount of steam into the oven, but I suspect a baking stone would have enhanced the crust even more.