Friday, February 16, 2007

Carrot Cake




I was forced to upgrade to the new, allegedly more reliable Blogger. Hrumph. It most certainly is NOT. Things may appear off kilter for a while until I can come up with some code to fix it.

Bet you could tell it was carrot cake by the decorations. What do you mean they don't look like carrots? Well, that must be because the new, allegedly better Blogger won't upload my bloody images. If you could see them, you'd know I made little carrots with a pastry tube. Oh wait, maybe it will...maybe...maybe...come on I don't have all day....hmmm de dum...*taps fingers on desk*... yes, I guess it will (after three attempts).

The recipe is simple and straightforward. I omitted the walnuts as I am allergic, but you could certainly add a cup of chopped nuts.

You will need:

3 eggs
2 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups raw carrot, shredded

Beat the eggs well and add the next seven ingredients and beat until smooth. Stir in the coconut, nuts, pineapple and acrrots with a mixing spoon. Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 minutes (mine took 70 minutes, so be sure to test for doneness with a toothpick).

When cake is still slightly warm, frost with cream cheese frosting

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat together until smooth and spread on still warm cake.

Recipe from:
From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens by, Good and Pellman
(As I often note when preparing recipes from this book, it is a volume worth investing in).

No comments: