Monday, March 26, 2007

Hives!

Oh, ugh. My son developed hives last Friday morning on day nine of ten days of penicillin. He's still breaking out with new ones as of this morning. I'm told it will take a while for the antibiotic to work out of his system, and to expect them to look a bit on the scary side. Not that I panicked or anything when I saw them multiplying by the minute across his belly. Oh no, not I. I was perfectly calm as I raced him to the pharmacy twenty minutes away (we live in a rural area), and didn't freak out on the pharmacist or anything...not too much anyway. In fact, I was so calm that the paediatrician wrote an Rx for an Eppi Pen-not because my son would need it, but because it was obvious that Mummy would not be able to sleep worrying "what if?" I thought I did a fine job of staying just this side of hysterical.

Thankfully, the hives don't itch. We did learn something else about our son-Benadryl makes him bounce off the walls. We sat there Friday evening watching him run laps around the dining room table singing "I'm a Little Teapot." I'm told that is also quite normal in young children.

Needless to say, I haven't been spending much time in the kitchen. I did however, bake Danny some blueberry muffins on Saturday as they are his favourite. When I was a child and ill, my mother would make me soft-boiled eggs, which I loved. I would also get comic books, though we lived near a newsstand that sold them. I don't know where a child would go today to get comic books. Soft-boiled eggs are of course off the menu these days as the health department claims they are bacterial breeding grounds.

No comments: