Monday, April 23, 2007

Coconut Macaroons



It’s almost misleading to call these coconut cookies macaroons as they are so light. A better description might be coconut meringues-but that’s not quite it either, as they have a considerable chew to them. The recipe I’m posting here is very basic-you could of course add vanilla, chocolate, lemon zest, etc. Some people dip their macaroons in chocolate but somehow that seems like overkill to me. It might work better with macaroons that rely on condensed milk and are more candy-like. At Christmastime, I will place a half glaced cherry in the centre of each before baking, which is always a hit at my husband’s office. I also think candied pineapple would work well.

I baked mine on silicone sheets, but you may wish to use parchment. I’d avoid buttering a pan as I suspect it would brown the bottoms too early before the macaroons fully dry out.

I tend to make mine large, but this recipe can yields about 20 small sized cookies.

You Will Need:

2 large egg whites
¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut


Preheat oven to 350degrees F/180 C
Beat egg whites until stiff adding sugar slowly.
Add lemon juice.
Add coconut slowly folding.
Place by spoonful on baking sheet lined with parchment.
Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes (or more) until lightly browned and have mostly dried out (they shouldn’t be bone dry).

Cool on racks.

No comments: