Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Apple Pie Made With "New" Crisco




They changed Crisco to a trans-fat-free product. I’m not pleased. While my husband insists he cannot tell the difference in my pie crust-I can. It also rolls out differently and is quite soft. I guess it is butter from now on, or at the very least, a mixture. I think it would be very difficult to cut a lattice crust from this dough. I’m going to post the recipe for the crust for those who may wish to try a trans-fat free recipe, but my inclination is to tell you it is not worth it. If you can use lard, by all ,means do so, otherwise I’d look into good quality butter.

I realise this sounds like whining. It took years for me to work out the perfect pie crust and now the food police have gone and ruined it! I don’t bake pie often enough for it to be a health issue and darn it, I just want it the way I want it. You know?

I can’t say I feel any healthier after eating a slice but then all that sugar probably balances out what I’m saving in trans fat.

For the crust:

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups vegetable shortening
1/3 cup very cold water
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon white vinegar


Mix salt and flour together. Cut in shortening. Add beaten egg to water and vinegar and piour into flour/shortening mixture. Work into dough and let rest a few minutes before rolling out.

For the Apple Pie:

6 cups sliced apples, peeled
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons water
1 egg yolk plus 1 tablespoon water for wash
extra sugar for topping
(You can brush with milk or cream if you want a less shiny crust).


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour apples into bottom crust. Mix everything else together and pour over apples. Cover with top crust. Make slits for steam. Brush with egg was and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 1 hour. If top browns too soon, cover with foil.

No comments: