Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Apricot/Rosemary Chutney and Cheeses


I’m allergic to mangoes, which has really interfered with my ability to purchase prepared chutney. As I had two wonderful cheeses to serve for dinner (haloumi, coated with flour and fried in olive oil, and a wonderful gorgonzola) I decided to build on the half a bag of dried apricots sitting in the icebox and the rosemary growing like wild outside. The results were very good, and I wish I’d made more and sterilised a few jars for canning as it would make a lovely gift. As is, it will keep covered under refrigeration for about a week. The base of the recipe (I’ve made a few changes) comes from the January 1996 issue of Bon Appetit.


You Will Need:

12 ounces dried apricots (I used unsulphered which are not as pretty, but healthier overall).
1 large red onion, chopped fine
1 cup water
2/3 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 ounces raisins
1 ounce crystalised ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary-chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
½ teaspoon salt


Combine everything in a heavy bottomed saucepan (I used enamel covered cast iron). Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium (slow simmer) and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated-about ½ an hour. Chill well. Cover and keep refrigerated.

No comments: