Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rhubarb Sorbet

I wasn't really sure what to do with the many stalks of rhubarb I purchased last weekend, but as with the Brussels sprouts, it was coming time to decide. I compromised and used half of them for rhubarb sorbet, and the rest will be made into rhubarb and custard.

As my stalks were fairly young, I didn't bother to peel them. If you are working with thicker, older rhubarb, you may wish to peel them, though it is rather unnecessary for this particular dish.

You Will Need:

3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 packet unflavoured gelatine dissolved in ¼ cup water

Place 3 cups of chopped rhubarb in a casserole dish with ½ cup water and 1 cup sugar. Place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Cool and mash. Reserve liquid. Take mashed rhubarb and force through a strainer to catch juice and finely squeezed pulp. In a separate bowl, soften 1 packet of unflavoured gelatine in ¼ cup water.

Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and any additional sugar you think it may need. Add a pinch of salt. Add the gelatine. In an ice-cream maker, process until light and fluffy. The sorbet is very light pink-a colour I find attractive, but you may wish to add a bit of food colouring for a deeper hue. As I plan to serve mine with a few reserved pieces of roasted rhubarb, I think the colour contrast will do fine-you may desire a more dramatic presentation.

No comments: