Sunday, June 24, 2007

Brik


Brik is a Tunisian dish of tuna, capers and egg that is deep-fried in a spring roll wrapper until golden. Honestly, I Wasn't terribly wowed by it, though my husband ate his happily. I didn't dislike it, particularly; it simply did not seem worth the effort and cost of using so much oil for so few things. As bits of egg did leak into the oil during frying, I wasn't comfortable re-using it as the tuna smell also permeated. So yes, throwing out a couple cups of oil seems extravagant, particularly when paying for expensive Canola oil.

The recipe is available in the current issue of Gourmet-which also includes step-by step directions. Theirs look better than mine as I was unable to find square spring roll wrappers around here and had to make due with round. I also don't have a team of professional photographers and food designers to make them look so perfect.

No comments: