Thursday, August 09, 2007

There Were Supposed To Be Egg Rolls Here

My spouse ate this post! Thinking there might be a famine, his inner-Neanderthal decided to eat the last egg-roll (it could be a long time between bison kills, or the wife deep-frying) before I could photograph it. I figured it's OK though-you all know what an egg roll looks like, correct?

Here's how I made them:

For Six Egg Rolls (yes, he really did eat five of them)

Egg roll wrappers
1 egg+1 tablespoon water
2 carrots, peeled and finely matchsticks
1 small red onion
1 tablespoon grated ginger
8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tin of water chestnuts, slivered
oil for sauteing
1 tablespoon sesame oil for flavouring
black-bean garlic paste and hoisan sauce for flavouring OR 1/2 packet of seasoning from ramen noodles (really).

Saute the vegetables until very soft. Place by tablespoon in wrapper, roll-up and seal with egg wash. Fry in hot fat until golden. Drain and serve.

Like an idiot, I fried some tofu earlier in the day intending to cut it up and put it in the egg rolls-until I was distracted. I think they were pretty good anyway, and that's saying a lot as I have a rather intense dislike for deep-fried food, let alone Chinese. The fact that I ate one (and immediately had to eat a peppermint to get the taste of oil out of my mouth, but hey, that's me-not the cooking) indicates that they were probably better than the frozen egg rolls my husband usually buys. At least I think so, I mean he did eat five of them. Oh well, at least the rest of dinner was brown rice and stir-fried vegetables, so it's not as though he'd just downed a platter of General's chicken or something equally bad for you. You know, if you can't practise moderation and feel compelled to eat five egg rolls, at least balance it with something healthy.

Thank goodness I didn't make dessert.

No comments: