Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Celtic New Year

Today, I'm getting ready for Samhain/Halloween by baking Barmbracks. Barmbrack is a sweet dough, heavy with allspice and fruit that is brushed with a sugary glaze. Into the dough is kneaded a parchment-wrapped packet containing a button, coin and ring for fortune telling. I'll go into more detail when I post the recipe early this evening. I would mention though, the recipe calls for 3/4 cup candied orange peel. I did not plan ahead, and just spent the last hour making my own. If you think this is something you might like to make for the holiday tomorrow, it might be worth a trip to the store to pick some up. I'll post instructions for making candied peel anyway, but it does add a bit of extra work to an otherwise straightforward yeast bread recipe.

Now, I'm going to sit down and wait for the second rise.

No comments: