Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Green Curry Chicken


This recipe was so easy I almost feel bad that it took me fourteen years to try it. The recipe comes from the November 1993 issue of Gourmet, and it really is simple (particularly now that green curry paste is available everywhere and you don't need to make your own).


Dinner took about ten minutes, plus a few extra to cut-up the chicken. If you really feel like being lazy you can buy already cut-up chicken chunks or strips (I wouldn't, ahem...but it is worth pointing out that such extravagances are available).


As previously noted with similar recipes-it ain't pretty. I can't help thinking it looks reminiscent of that abomination my mother used to prepare in the 60's called, Chicken Ala King. Just which sovereign the dish is named for I cannot say. Thankfully, the resemblance is only cosmetic and really, if you like a mildly spicy curry, this dish is laughably simple to prepare.


You Will Need:


2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into strips

3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (yes, it stinks and no-you'll never use the bottle in its entirety)

a 13 ounce can of coconut milk

1/2 cup thawed frozen peas

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice

Cooked rice


In a wok or large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the curry paste and stir-fry for about two minutes. Add the chicken and two tablespoons of the fish sauce. Stir fry until just cooked through (about 3-4 minutes).


Serves Four


Stir in the coconut milk and the peas. Bring to a boil and then stir in the lime juice and remaining tablespoon of fish sauce. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I made this for supper last night, wow it was good!

Mary didn't "yike it" but she didn't try, so that doesn't really count. I never imagined I would have a picky child...she must get it from Ian.

Goody said...

I can imagine where a child might be put off by the smell of fish sauce the first time.

I'm glad you liked it.