Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Treacle Farls


I finally got around to making the treacle farls for Danny. I tossed in a handful of currants (though I don't think that's traditional) to make them a bit more interesting. I also didn't have treacle, and I don't care for American molasses-so I used golden syrup-a pretty close replacement for treacle (pretty much the same thing-almost).


I did mine mainly in the food processor as I don't have the patience for cutting cold butter into flour anymore. I added part of the liquid in the machine and then the rest on a floured board. I did not need the entire amount and I'd caution you to add slowly. The dough should be soft and you do not want to over-work it as it will get tough (this is one bread where you don't want gluten development).


Like soda bread and scones, it won't last but a day, as it tends to get hard and dry. I will caution you not to serve the farls until completely cooled or you will have a crumbly mess.


Get yourself some good butter and jam and dig-in. I don't know why I only make these every five years or so, as they're really quite good.


You Will Need:


4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chilled, unsalted butter, cut-up

13/4 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons treacle, molasses or golden syrup

1/4 cup currants


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Flour a heavy baking sheet. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in the flour until you have a fine meal. Add the syrup to the buttermilk and stir until dissolved. Add the liquid slowly until you have a soft but not sticky dough. Add the currants. Turn out on a floured board and knead only until mixed. Pat into a round about 1 1/2 inches high. Cut into fourths and place on pan leaving space between. Bake until deep golden brown-about 30 minutes. You may need to decrease the temperature if it browns too quickly.

No comments: