Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cheap Holiday In Other People's Misery

One of the books our three year old is fascinated with is a photographic coffee-table account of the Berlin Wall coming down. For the past few days, Danny has been asking me questions about where it was, why people were laughing, crying and so on. I did the best I could to explain it to him in a way a three year old could understand. Then, I forgot about it-until this afternoon.





There he was, my little boy building a pretty good model of the Brandenburg gate with blocks. For added realism, he propped his Fisher Price Little People atop the wall. At the bottom, he was playing with Matchbox cars.



"Can we come in? We're tired of East German haircuts and bad cigarettes. Lookout Checkpoint Charlie, we're zooming through the wall..."

No comments: