Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Suggestions?

I need to bake a birthday cake for my husband who isn't particularly fond of "gooey" cakes. I'm thinking a pound cake baked in a tube pan, hollowed out and filled with either orange or lime curd. So far, so good-but how to decorate it?

The most attractive would be a butter cream stabilised with shortening and powdered sugar. That's my neatest option which is great if you need to pipe on decoration.

Cream cheese frosting would probably be a better fit, but does not lend itself to decorating beyond fancy swirls with a spoon.

Or, I could make the pound cake chocolate, fill it with orange curd and pour ganache over the whole damn thing-but that's getting to be a bit on the "gooey" side-and I can't decorate it.

Anyone have thoughts for decorating a filled, round pound cake? I have a couple days to prepare.

No comments: