Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Actually, "Big Boy" Is The Name Of The Train

Oh, The things adults will do to entertain a child.








I'm of the belief that children should not be burdened with grown-up worries-particularly when there isn't much to be done. In an attempt to keep life as normal as possible for Danny, we've been going completely overboard in showing him a good time. Yeah, I know.






First stop today was Lauretizen Gardens. Outside, they have a park (a good climb up a steep hill of steps) where two Union Pacific engines are on display. If you're not a railroad enthusiast, "Big Boy", and "Centennial" probably won't mean anything to you. If you are, then you probably know how important Omaha was in railroad history. It was fun.

Yes, That's me and no, I don't have a moustache. I'm going to assume it was the light and our cheap camera. I do have a head full of grey hair, which the camera captured true to life. Thanks. I cropped out my big fat arms-because that's what photoshop is for.




Then, in what I can only assume was temporary insanity, we took Danny to an arcade. A very dumpy, old-timey arcade. If you've ever wondered if there is a parallel universe where it is still 1981, I have news for you. The place is called, "Nickel A Play". Dark, loud (oh God, it was loud) and reeking in cleaning solution (so bad your eyes burn) it was easily the most fun our kid has ever had-in his entire life. Nothing will ever be as exciting as sitting and playing the driving games. He had a serious melt-down when it was time to leave-but really, I can't blame him.
Come on, seriously. Look at that kid having fun. You'd cry too if your parents dragged you home to eat beets for dinner and take a bath. Driving games are much more fun.






"I don't want today to be over!" he wailed as my husband carried him through the car park. It was awfully hard not to laugh. I can remember being that age and not wanting fun days to be over either.


I managed to find a driving game I liked-a speedboat navigating game. It took some actual skill and by the time we left I had the fourth highest score. I'm not sure that's something to be proud of, but I also managed to hurt my shoulder! Because I'm an old, old, old woman. Old. Too old to find an arcade game that engaging. I can't believe I'm actually sore from it. The games are better than they used to be and you really do need to hang on to the steering wheel as it jerks about and responds with actual tension. Still-I'm probably the first person to manage actual pain from playing it. Gosh, I suppose that ought to be embarrassing.


Anyway, I thought I'd share some photos from the best day ever that nobody wanted to be over.

No comments: