Thursday, May 08, 2008

Chili Corn Bread Casserole


I couldn't make this recipe as written-it was just too fatty. I'm not afraid of butter, but 3/4 cup melted butter in addition to 1 cup sour cream and 1/4 pound of cheese is overkill for a cornbread. The recipe came from Beard On Bread-the volume where Beard had people baking biscuits with a cup of heavy cream and then dunking them in melted butter before baking. This is the Helen Evans Brown corn bread recipe-I wonder if eating this is what killed her? I should Google that. Look, I like my fat as much as the next person but I had to draw the line somewhere. I cut the butter to half and it was still a very heavy, greasy cornbread. Not greasy in a bad way, mind you-but not health food either. As my husband noted, it is more of a pudding than a bread. I think that's a good description. The recipe unlike most corn bread does not use any all-purpose flour.


I also omitted the canned chillies and replaced them with a generous shake of powdered ancho chillies. This worked well.


You Will Need:


A defibrillator (just kidding...sort of)

3 ears fresh corn-uncooked

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 teaspoons salt (this seemed like a lot to us-I would decrease it by 1/4 teaspoon next time)

3 teaspoons double acting baking powder

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup melted butter

2 eggs, well beaten

1/4 pound Swiss cheese, finely diced

1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chili powder


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a nine inch square pan (I used an oval). Scrape the kernels off the cob and set aside. Mix the remaining ingredients and add the corn. Pour batter into casserole and bake 45 minutes to an hour.




No comments: