Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chocolate Buttermilk Bread



Well, I'm back-sort of. I can't say I'm feeling terribly inspired and after losing the contents of both the fridge and freezer, I don't have a stocked kitchen to turn to . I tried making a replacement list, but you know that won't work. I'll remember what I need when I go to use it.

The sourdough starter bit the dust. I'm not sure at this point if I will do another.

This recipe was the result of a cup of buttermilk waiting to be used-up. Well, that and wanting some chocolate. I used a cup of buttermilk and a cup of whole milk. I don't see any reason the entire thing couldn't be made with buttermilk (or sour cream for that matter).

The chocolate was store-brand bittersweet chips that cost a buck a bag (and were made of real chocolate!). You could use semi-sweet chips but I would stay away from milk chocolate as it would probably be too sweet and too soft.

I tried a slice a few minutes ago and as soon as I finish this post, I'm off for more. I can't wait to try this toasted with some butter or cream cheese.

You Will Need:

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup whole milk
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons granulated dry yeast (not instant)
1/4 cup warm water
8 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
5-6 cups bread flour
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon cream and 1 egg yolk for glaze

Proof the yeast in the water in a small bowl and set aside. Heat the buttermilk and whole milk-just slightly until it steams. If you go too long it will start to curdle, which is OK if it does, but try to keep it from getting too warm. In a large bowl, place the butter, sugar and salt. Pour the warm milk over them and let sit until cooled to lukewarm. Stir in the yeast. Add three cups of the flour and mix well. Add the vital wheat gluten. Continue adding flour until dough is still somewhat wet and tacky but not super-sticky. knead in the chocolate. It does not matter if it begins melting as that helps create the lovely swirling effect.

Place in a buttered bowl, coat and cover. Let rise 1 1/2-2 hours or until doubled. Punch down, and let rest 30 minutes.

Divide dough, shape and place in well-buttered pans. Cover lightly and let rise until almost doubled-about 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Bake loaves for twenty minutes. then rotate pans and bake another ten. Check for doneness (I baked mine to an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.) by tapping the bottom of the loaf or using a thermometer. Cool on racks.

No comments: