Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Blintzes


Or crepes, whatever you prefer to call them. The only distinction I can find is that blintzes are fried again after being filled.

I didn't really plan for Father's Day, disrupted as we were with the tornado. I realised this at four in the morning, so I dragged my arse out of bed and started looking around the blogs (because my precious cookbook collection is currently drying out in boxes filled with kitty litter) and wouldn't you know it, Jenn at Chocolate Shavings came to my rescue-again. Remember the pots de creme for Mr. Eat The Blog's birthday? I can honestly say, she's never failed me with a bad recipe (and I've made quite a few of them). This recipe is about as foolproof as can be.

I didn't want to do chocolate (as I'd just made chocolate bread) so I improvised a cottage cheese/raisin filling that was pretty darn close to what I remember as a child in Chicago. I added orange zest, but I think lemon or cinnamon would be great as well.

For the crepes recipe go HERE.

For the filling:

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, drained
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
4 tablespoons raisins

Mix well and use to fill blintzes.

Make the blintzes one at a time and set aside on a plate. Then, when they are completed, fry in a large pan with a generous amount of butter until well browned on the outside.

Serve immediately, or freeze extra between sheets of waxed paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked the crepe recipe. Yours look great!