Saturday, July 05, 2008

Rabbit Stock? I'm Game!


Heh, heh, heh-ain't I clever?

I went ahead and used the leftover rabbit bones and meat scraps to make stock. I have double the amount in the picture-about 2 quarts. Not bad considering I was going to toss the bones out.

You Will Need:

Bones and meat scraps
2 large carrots, peeled
2 medium onions, peeled
Water to cover
the following tied in cheesecloth:
6 sprigs parsley
5 whole cloves
2 cloves unpeeled garlic
1 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt

Slowly bring the bones and water to a simmer, removing scum as it rises, taking care not to let the water boil. Add the vegetables and herbs in cheese cloth and return to a very slow simmer. Cover, leaving about an inch for steam to escape. Then, let it simmer for several hours. I let mine go about four hours, removing scum that would float to the top here and there.

Strain through a layer of cheesecloth in a sieve, then strain again. Chill and scrape off any fat that rises to the surface and hardens.

Use within a few days, or freeze for longer storage. You can reduce it to glaze as well.

No comments: