Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Pizzas And Canned Plums In Syrup




There's two different types of plums-prune plums and black plums. Isn't the colour beautiful? I decided to split the prune plums and pit them so I could cram more in a jar. I raw packed them in hot syrup and about half an hour ago the last seal "pinged." I used a medium syrup which seems appropriate for plums. Someday I'll have to try using honey.

The pizzas were experimental and Mr. Eat The Blog (who now has the virus that had me laid up for six weeks) said he enjoyed it, though I don't know how he can enjoy anything, coughing like that. Danny is starting to cough too. Not surprising, but I really had been hoping it would miss them.

I used my regular pizza dough recipe but added 1/2 a cup of olive oil. This helped make the dough light and focaccia-like. The topping were as follows:

Pear/Chevre Pizza

Boiled red potatoes, thinly sliced
1 large French pear, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
a few slices of red onion
About 10 fresh sage leaves
About 1/2 tube goat cheese
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
Olive oil for brushing crust
Pepper


Vegetable Pizza:

1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1/23 cup chopped parsley
1 thinly sliced green pepper, in rings
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
about 10 black olives, chopped
4-5 sage leaves
1 cup grated provolone cheese
1/4 cup grated pecorino Romano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan


I baked them in a hot (475 degree F,) oven on the bottom shelf for 5 minutes before transferring to the middle rack for another 5-7. Again, this will be enough food for tomorrow evening's meal,though I wonder if I ought to toss together a pot of soup for the infirm.

Sooner or later, we all have to get over this bug, right?

1 comment:

Goody said...

That title is funny. No, I didn't put pizza in the plums.