Monday, September 08, 2008

Prune Plum And Orange Freezer Jam


This is an experiment, and I probably won't know how well it worked for a week or so. I'll update the post when I try the final result, but if what came out of the pot is any indication, it is going to be good. I made this knowing I'll be preparing two ducks at Thanksgiving and I'll use this with ruby port for a glaze. Even if the set is soft, it won't matter for my purpose. This wasn't a recipe adapted for regular liquid pectin, so I had to guess at how much sugar to add. I based it on the freezer jam recipe in The Ball Blue Book, but I didn't have freezer specific pectin. I'm sure it will be fine, but don't try it (unless you're feeling adventurous) until I have a chance to update with any adjustments.

You Will Need:

50 prune plums, pitted and finely chopped
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped orange pulp
Grated zest of an orange
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
6 cups sugar
1 packet liquid pectin

Chop plums and place in a large pot. Add the water, bring to a simmer and then cover. Cook 5-7 minutes or until slightly soft. Transfer to a large bowl and add the orange, zest, mace and sugar. Stir well and let sit fifteen minutes.

Stir in the pectin and continue stirring for three minutes or until all sugar is dissolved. Pack in freezer jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe threads clean and seal. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours before transferring to freezer. Makes 8 half pints.

No comments: