Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chickpea Patties


I've made numerous versions of these, but this time they turned out so well, I wanted to post the recipe so I would remember how to make them. These croquettes are not deep fried like falafel, but they do get a "shallow" fry. They probably aren't health food. I might try baking them next time to see what I get.

I have to point out that I find it hilarious that I can buy store-brand Panko breadcrumbs in rural Nebraska. I'm sure a sociologist could have a great time writing about the internet and foodie culture.

I also have to point out that no matter what I fry in it-from doughnuts to chicken, Canola oil always smells faintly of fish. I do not know why. Does anyone else notice this, or have a reason why?

You Will Need:

2 tins chickpeas, drained rinsed and as many skins removed as possible (yeah, I know that's anal)
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1/4 cup plain yoghurt
1 teaspoon cumin
alt and pepper to taste
a squeeze of lemon juice
Panko breadcrumbs for coating
Oil for frying

Remove the skins from the chickpeas, place in a large bowl and get out your potato masher. Mash the daylights out of them-I mean really go at them. Don't just put them through a food mill or blender because that will take all the texture out-you want these a little heavy to start. Add half the breadcrumbs, the yoghurt and the spices. Add the lemon juice and parsley. Add the eggs and blend well. What you want is a very soft dough that can just barely be formed into patties. It shouldn't be dry, but you do want them to hold together. Add more breadcrumbs if needed, but go slow so that you don't end up with heavy, leaden croquettes. When formed, roll in Panko breadcrumbs to coat and transfer to a dish. Let them firm up in the fridge at least half an hour before frying.

Heat about 2 inches of oil in a large frying pan. Get the oil as reasonably hot as you can without smoking or creating a fire hazard. The hotter the oil, the less time they will need to spend in it getting greasy. Fry until brown, turn and fry other side. Keep a tray hot in the oven to transfer completed patties to. I got 12 good sized pieces.

I served them with cous cous made with raisins and mint and plain yoghurt with a couple spoonfuls of pomegranate molasses stirred in (another gift from Mr. Eat The Blog's mother-thanks Mom!).

No comments: