Friday, November 21, 2008

Cranberry Wine Jelly And Tangerine Jelly



I ended up doing a couple batches of canning this evening (why waste the water in the canner?) and I'm pleased with the way both turned out. In fact, Mr. Eat The Blog scraped every last residual bit of jelly out of the pot before I washed it because the wine jelly is just that good.


Both recipes come from the Blue Book, but I used a different type of wine than the Burgundy called for. Remember my power-shopping trip through the liquor department of my local grocer? Well, that paid off but somehow I bought every sort of wine except Burgundy. No big deal, I used Pinot-and it is delicious.

The tangerine jelly is out-of-this-world good. In fact, it is so good I'm not giving any away. That's right-keep yer mitts off my jelly. I suppose now I have to make crumpets. Oh dear, it is good jelly. Pretty too.

For the Tangerine jelly:

6 cups chopped tangerine pulp (I did 7 to be on the safe side and came up with exactly 4 cups of juice. Use your noggin-if the fruit seems a bit dry, dice up some extra.

1 cup chopped lemon pulp (about 4 lemons-more if rind is thick)
1/2 cup thinly sliced peel of tangerine with as much pith removed as possible
1 cup water
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

In a large pot, combine the chopped tangerines, lemons and rind. Add the water. Cover, and simmer ten minutes. Strain juice through a damp jelly bag into a bowl. Measure 4 cups juice.

Combine juice and powdered pectin in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add sugar stirring until dissolved. Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. remove from heat, skim foam and ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe threads clean, seal and place in boiling water canner. Process tn minutes then remov lid and with heat off, let cool five minutes in canner. Cool undisturbed for 12 hours before checking for seals. Makes about 5 pints (I got 6).


For The Cranberry Wine Jelly:

2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin
1/4 cup Burgundy (or other red wine)

Combine cranberry juice and sugar in a large pot. Stir until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in liquid pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in wine and then skim foam. Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process ten minutes in a boiling water canner. Let cool 5 minutes in canner with lid removed and heat off. Cool on counter for 12 hours before testing for seals. Makes 4 pints.

No comments: