Friday, November 07, 2008

Meatless Meat-Loaf, and Balsamic Lentils


When I first saw THIS recipe at Once Upon A Feast, I knew it would be good-because Ruth does not post inferior recipes. I really like lentils, but it never occurred to me that Balsamic vinegar would be a good addition. It was. I used traditional lentils, and I pre-soaked them while I was out for a couple hours which seems to help with stomach discomfort. They cooked quick-about fifteen minutes. I live in Nebraska, so "local" vinegar wasn't happening (unless I start growing my own from a vinegar mother, which is actually kind of tempting as we always have extra wine lying around) and I just used what I had,which was Italian. I can't say enough nice things about this dish, so you'll have to go and try it yourself.


The meatless loaf was an experiment. The Light Life crumbles were on sale at the grocer. I'd never bought them before because honestly, I'm just not thrilled with TVP and wheat gluten products. This one looked promising as it had a nice short list of ingredients all of which I'd heard of. To my pleasant suprise, it not only worked well, it tasted terrific-better than any meatloaf made with ground beef (I never could stomach that as a kid). I did use three eggs, so while it is meatless, it is obviously not vegan. I don't know what you could substitute as a vegan binder, but it needs something as the ground crumbles will not stick together on their own.

For The Meatless Loaf:

1 package Light Life Ground "beef" crumbles
3 eggs
3/4 cup finely crushed saltines
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons dried onion
1 tablespoon paprika

Mix, shape into a loaf and bake in a greased pan for 45 minutes-1 hour in a 350 degree F. Oven. Serve hot.

No comments: