Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Peas And Carrots-with a twist


I know, I know... peas and carrots-how many plates of these two vegetables have people eaten through their childhoods? I wanted to post this to show you how I liven them up a bit.

I don't buy the frozen peas and carrots. While I do use frozen peas, the carrots tend to get a bit spongy when frozen and besides, I always have a 5 lb. bag or two on hand (we eat carrots quite a bit as they are healthy and inexpensive).

I'm not going to give a recipe exactly, because what you do will depend on how much you make, rather I'll list the ingredients and basic idea. Do give these a try, they're quick to make and most of the preparation work can be done ahead through the day.

You Will Need:

Carrots, peeled and diced small
Frozen peas, cooked and refreshed under cold water to retain colour. Drained well.
Yellow onions, chopped
Dried thyme
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil-about 3 tablespoons to a large pan of vegetables
Zest of a lemon

Cook the peas and set aside. In a large frying pan cook the carrots and onions over medium heat in the oil. Cook until almost soft, add the peas, spices and zest. Cook until carrots are soft.

That's it. I hope you like them as much as we do.

No comments: