Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vegetable And Bean Casserole With Homemade Noodles




I found an interesting recipe for homemade noodles that was ever-so-slightly different from the one I already use. It comes from my 1960 edition of The Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook. According to the cookbook, the noodles freeze well which is good to know if I ever make them in quantity. I let them dry out a bit more than the recipe called for just because previous experience has led me to think this is a good idea. The noodles were wonderful. In fact, I prefer these to my regular recipe.

The rest was just tossing together what I had in the house.

You Will Need:

For the Noodles:

Beat three egg yolks and one whole egg until very light. Beat in three tablespoons water and one teaspoon salt. Stir and work in with your hands two cups of flour (I was only able to add 1 1/2, so go slowly) until you have a stiff dough. Divide in three parts, roll out into rectangles and get them as thin as possible. Cover with a towel. Repeat with other two parts and layer between towels. Let dry until partially dry like a chamois skin. Roll up the dough and then cut to the width you prefer. Shake out the strips and let dry (I used a rack) before using or packaging. Makes 6 cups.

For the sauce:

2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
Pepper to taste

Whisk everything together in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and thin with additional milk if needed.

For the vegetables:

in 3-4 tablespoons of butter, saute 4 thinly sliced shallots, 4 thinly sliced carrots, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 cups thawed frozen peas, 1 tin of pinto beans, rinsed and drained, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cook over medium heat until soft. Adjust salt and pepper as desired.

Cook the noodles in chicken broth until tender-about 25 minutes. Drain. Toss with vegetables and sauce. Keep warm in a casserole dish in the oven until ready to serve.

No comments: