Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blood Orange Marmalade


This made a whole lot of marmalade. I got 10 half pints. That's quite a bit. I know I said I wouldn't share any of my precious blood orange jellies and marmalade, but that's a bit much, even for me.

It was late when I took the photo, but it does have the most beautiful burnt orange colour. I really do feel that these oranges were worth every penny, and I have two left which I intend to eat before bed (before anyone else sees them and tries to get their filthy mitts on my Moros).

You Will Need:

2 cups thinly sliced blood orange peel
1 quart chopped orange pulp
1 cup thinly sliced whole lemons (seeds removed, slices cut in half)
1 1/2 quarts water
Sugar

Combine everything except sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and let cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand in a cool place 12-18 hours.

Bring rapidly to a boil and cook until peels are tender. Measure peels and liquid. Add 1 cup of sugar for each cup of fruit and liquid. Stir in sugar and bring to a boil rapidly over high heat. Cook until just before the gelling point.

Pack into hot jars, remove air bubbles and wipe treads clean. Screw on caps and process ten minutes in a boiling water canner. Let cool five minutes in canner before removing to counter to cool. Let cool 12-24 hours before testing seals.

No comments: