Monday, January 05, 2009

Broccoli Salad With Figs


I have nothing against traditional broccoli salad with mayo, cheese and bacon-I just didn't want to make it. I hurt a disk in my neck some time back and today it is really bothering me-I wasn't about to stand there whisk in hand making mayonnaise. Still, I had broccoli that needed to be used. This was an improvisation, with happy results. It still incorporates all the sweet/salty/smoky flavours of a more traditional broccoli salad, but uses olive oil instead. The figs might sound like overkill, but after a few hours they soak up the marinade and become plump little bites of salty sweetness that I could see eating alone (note to self: try stewing some figs in olive oil and tarragon vinegar). I hope you like it.

You Will Need:

1 head of broccoli cut into florettes (save the stalks for another use)
1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
5-6 small figs, sliced
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup salted sunflower seeds
Black pepper/salt to taste
1 tablespoon imitation bacon bits

1 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1/8-1/4 cup olive oil (I'll leave that to your taste)
Pinch of sugar

Blanch the broccoli for 1 minute in boiling water. Refresh under cold running water and drain well. Combine with everything except vinegar, oil and sugar. In another bowl, combine the dressing and toss with salad. Cover and let sit a few hours before serving. Toss well again before serving.

1 comment:

Goody said...

Mr. Eat The Blog loved it, and so did Danny-he even asked for seconds.