Friday, January 30, 2009

Citrus Tarts



These were the perfect no-effort tarts.

You Will Need:

Pastry crust-blind baked in tarts pans and cooled on racks

Filling:
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons grated rind of Meyer lemons
1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Combine in a saucepan, whisking constantly over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Cook one minute longer, remove from heat and chill before using.

Kumquats for garnish

I used the Meyer lemons because I was gifted a bag of them. I used most of them in a barley risotto, and had just enough left for this filling. The lemons were nice, but not nice enough to justify the cost as there are other citruses I would rather fork over money for. Since these were a gift, I was able to enjoy them guiltlessly. I know you people in California are laughing at Meyer lemons being an exotic purchase but I live in Nowhere Nebraska, so these are kind of special.

Labels: , , ,

No comments: