Monday, January 12, 2009

Flatbread Day Two, And Other Projects

I gave that flatbread another try, this time using a bit more yeast in the sponge and then sticking it in the fridge for several hours after the second rise. It was much lighter with a more open crumb. I'm making yet another sponge tonight using the same basic ingredients but I'll use minuscule amounts of yeast, more water and let it rise an extra day in the fridge. I feel like I'm getting very close to a style of bread we used to get in Boston-but not quite. Anyway, we've been enjoying the breads. For lunch today I made Danny a pannini with mushrooms, onions and broccoli with a bit of Swiss cheese. I sliced the flatbread thin and then weighted it in the frying pan. I think we may have a new favourite sandwich.

If I finally achieve the bread I'm shooting for I'm going to pop open one of those jars of roasted red pepper spread I made, and eat the whole jar.

Finally, I have peel and pulp of blood oranges sitting overnight for marmalade tomorrow. I really hate making marmalade because it is beyond tedious to thinly slice the peel of a dozen oranges. It took about an hour. I know it will be worth it, but what a pain.

No comments: